Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Wait for it...

I'm still trying to cram a few more 2007 releases down my throat before I post my list of favorite albums from the year. I've been reading lots of other people's lists and of course they are loaded with albums I've never heard, so I thought I might sample a few of them.

I picked up the new Besnard Lakes album at Hard Boiled Records on Roscoe the other day. I was a little apprehensive at first, but it's actually pretty neat. It just might crack the top 15.

One album that I have NOT seen on ANYONE's 2007 list is "Bolts of Melody" by Adam Franklin. Franklin was the singer/guitarist in Swervedriver, and lately had been making music under the name Toshack Highway. This is his first "solo" album, and it quickly grew to be one of my favorites. It's more laid back than Swervedriver, of course, but it's not boring (at least to me).

I saw him play at the Empty Bottle back in October (in fact I went there right from the Van Halen concert at the United Center.) He and his band played several songs from the new album and they sounded great. For whatever reason, I really like his song structures and vocal delivery.

Anyway, look for my list in a couple weeks.

No comments: