Friday, December 14, 2007

The Songs in my Head

I've had "House of Pain" by Van Halen in my head a couple times recently, including right now. not sure why cuz I haven't listened to it lately, but I'm not complaining. "House of Pain" and "Girl Gone Bad" are kind of the forgotten final tracks from VH's 1984 album. It's a pretty neat tune, too - there are like 3 or 4 different sections to the song, probably written independently of each other, but fused together into a clever 3 minute job. The part in my head is the lead riff and chorus, but I like the sped-up middle and the back-to-basics ending as well. Some might say that the parts don't really go together that well, and that the song is kind of a mish-mash. But I tend to like songs that start in one place and go someplace so far off that by the end of the song, you've forgotten the beginning. My band Kemman has a lot of songs that do that. (We are playing tonight at the Underground Lounge.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Because I'm an old fart, I can tell you "House of Pain" was the B-Side to the 45 of "Jump".

Dr. Castrato said...

By this time, I was old enough to have a bunch of 45's too. Hungry Like the Wolf, Mr. Roboto, Africa. But I did not have the 45 for Jump, and therefore, I am jealous. I don't know why I never got that one - it was my favorite song.