Friday, December 7, 2007

The Songs in My Head

I almost always have SOME song in my head, and very often I don't even consciously notice it. My idea behind this series was to post whatever song was in my head at posting time. But now that I have a chance to post, I am actually listening to music, so the song in my head is the song playing right now: "Puss" by The Jesus Lizard. But it doesn't really count since it's actually playing.

So I will mention a song I had in my head recently: "For Your Life" by Led Zeppelin. The other day, that song was really stuck in there. What adjectives can you use to describe the severity of a song getting stuck in your head? It was stuck in my head real hard? It was stuck firmly? It was un-stickable? It was stuck with resounding presence? Speaking of presence, that song was stuck so thick(?), I had to listen to the entire album from which it came, Presence. A pretty underrated Zep album, it's got some great tunes on it. "Nobody's Fault But Mine" is probably the hit, I guess, but "Hots On For Nowhere" is possibly Zeppelin's most fun song, and nothing even comes close to the power of "Achilles Last Stand." What an epic tune. "For Your Life" is good, too. I dunno why it was in my head though. Just came up on my internal shuffle, I guess.

No comments: