Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Hopefully tomorrow

I'm shooting for tomorrow afternoon to get my 2007 album list posted and create a Best-of-2007 Mix. I need to re-listen to the Fountains of Wayne and Deerhunter albums to see if they are any good, and check a few dates on albums that may or may not have come out LAST year, and if so, cannot be included. But I've got the day off tomorrow (and the rest of the year, actually), so I should have time to sit and ponder these things.

Yesterday I read Pitchfork's top 50 and realized I had not even heard of half their albums. Not surprised, though; hipsters have a special way of making obscure crap sound really important. Take their #1 album, for example: Panda Bear's "Person Pitch." I had read another glowing review of this album, so I tracked it down through some "underground" (read: illegal) channels and downloaded it. I don't get it. It sounds like a dude hanging out in a cave 50 yards from the microphone, making up chants and repeating melodies with no choruses. It doesn't sound like songs, yet people are calling it the most perfect album of the year. Huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're not alone, Matt. I went to the list and had only heard of 31 of their 50. I have a love/hate relationship with Pitchfork. Sometimes, they're right on, other times, they're too cool for the room.

For a good laugh though, check out their review of the Jet album "Shine On", it's incredibly cruel but funny as hell at the same time.