Monday, June 30, 2008

Mix Tape - "Afternoon Delight"

I made a 70s & 80s light rock mix for a friend last week. I had been working on compiling a list of songs for myself that all kind of fit a certain mood for me. Generally 70's light rock songs that had a certain open stillness to them. I think I've discussed before how I'm slightly embarrassed to admit I like some of that old junk. But there is this particular sound of song that I wanted to build a mix around.

At some point, however, I decided to make the mix into something I could share with a friend, and at that point I realized that my original mix would have contained WAY too many ballads and not enough fun. So I changed it and to incorporate a larger selection of more upbeat numbers. I think the mix turned out well and I am planning to create a follow up. Here's the track listing (I interspersed some Anchorman clips here and there throughout the mix, to go along with the "Afternoon Delight" theme).

1. Starland Vocal Band - Afternoon Delight
2. Pure Prarie League - Amie
3. America - Sister Golden Hair
4. Paul Simon - Kodachrome
5. Boz Scaggs - Lido Shuffle
6. Orleans - Still the One
7. Jacksone Browne - Somebody's Baby
8. Ozark Mtn Daredevils - Jackie Blue
9. Climax Blues Band - Couldn't get it Right
10. Steely Dan - Peg
11. Doobie Brothers - What a Fool Believes
12. Fleetwood Mac - Gypsy
13. Bee Gees - How Deep is Your Love?
14. Chicago - If You Leave Me Now
15. Gordon Lightfoot - Sundown
16. Seals and Crofts - Summer Breeze
17. Rupert Holmes - Escape (The Pina Colada Song)
18. Jay Ferguson - Thunder Island
19. Pilot - Magic
20. Sanford Townsend Band - Smoke from a Distant Fire
21. Steve Miller Band - Dance Dance Dance

Thanks to Jason Hare's "Adventures Through the Mines of Mellow Gold" series for some of these songs.

3 comments:

dd0031 said...

What? No Hall & Oates? No Private Eyes??

Dr. Castrato said...

hall and oates were on there, and got bumped due to time restrictions. they will DEFINITELY appear on the sequel. i'm thinking Kiss is On My List, or One on One. private eyes might be too rockin, if you can believe that.

Anonymous said...

"I think I've discussed before how I'm slightly embarrassed to admit I like some of that old junk."

You'll get over it in time. Trust me.

Great mix!