Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Songs in my Head

I'm busy working on a project at work. Right now I've just e-mailed what I believe will be the final version to a co-worker for their approval. So while I wait for their reply, I'll tell you what song has been in my head this morning: "All Over the World," by the Pixies. I haven't listened to the Pixies in a few months, at least, so I don't know why that song popped up. I was just discussing with my friend about how the Pixies were once one of my most favorite bands, and at one point not long ago, I listened to them regulary. But once I finally saw them live about 2 years ago (which was great), their albums started to lose a little of the mystique and appeal. Something about the simpleness of songs was exposed, where the record had me convinced it wsa more complex. I still like them, quite a bit, but they've faded just a little in my desire to actively listen to their records.

I've had the opposite happen often, where a live show gets me interested in a band. Has a live concert actually diminished your appreciation for a bands albums?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It wasn't seeing them live that turned me (as I saw them live twice in the 80's-90's during their original run and one of the reunion shows) but I kinda feel the same way about the Pixies. They just seem to have lost their luster. Surfer Rosa still rocks hard (thanks to Steve Albini's recording prowess) but the rest of the catalog seems to fall mostly flat. There are still some great moments, but not as many as there used to be.

Sarah Barr said...

Built to Spill's live show completely ruined them for me. I love Keep It Like A Secret, but when I saw them live, they had these long "jam" sequences in the middle of their songs. It completely turned me off and was one of the most boring shows I have ever seen.