Friday, January 11, 2008

Brit Box

I referenced the "Brit Box" boxed set in my previous post, and how the Blur song choice struck as me as a little odd, given some of their bigger hits were passed over. Let's take a look at some of the other artists on this comp. With some of the artists, it's easy to guess the song because it was their only big hit (see The La's "There She Goes.") But other's such as Oasis have had numerous hits. Which one would you choose?

We already know which Blur song is on there, but, without looking, what song from the following bands would you expect to be a on compilation boxed set? Post your guesses in the comments.
Oasis
The Smiths
The Cure
Suede
Pulp (I always used to get Suede and Pulp confused)
New Order

What about...
Echo and the Bunnymen
The Stone Roses
Ned's Atomic Dustbin
Teenage Fanclub
The Verve
Elastica

Or these?
The Boo Radleys
Supergrass
Swervedriver
Stereolab
James
The Charlatans

Thanks to Ken from Gapers Blog for the idea for this post. I'll do a follow-up post with the actual songs in a day or two.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what if it's just me and Carla, I almost looked at the Brit Box on Amazon last night but figured I'd wait and see if did this and voila, you did. I'll put my choices first and guess (most obvious track in parenthses.

Oasis - Supersonic (Wonderwall)
The Smiths - What Difference Does it Make? (How Soon is Now?)
The Cure Jumping Someone Else's Train (Just Like Heaven)
Suede- Metal Mickey (Metal Mickey)
Pulp - The Night Minnie Timperley Died (Common People)
New Order - Age of Consent (Blue Monday)
Echo - Never Stop (Lips Like Sugar)
Stone Roses - Fool's Gold (I Wanna Be Adored)
Ned's Atomic Dustbin - Selfish (Grey Cell Green)
TFC - Starsign - What You Do To Me
Verve - Slide Away (Bittersweet Sym)
Elastica - Stutter (Connection)
Boo Radleys - Lazy Day (Lazarus)
Supergrass - Rush Hour Soul (Pumping on yr Stereo)
Stereolab - Crest - (Ping Pong)
James - Born Of Frustration - (Born of...)
The Charlatans - Chapter One (The Only One I know)

Anonymous said...

Caral's gonna be disappointed if you don;t include XTC.

Dr. Castrato said...

ummm... Carla's gonna be disappointed by the Brit Box. That's right, no XTC on there! I didn't notice that omission until you mentioned it. That's kind of an embarassement, ain't it? Maybe next I'll do a post about who got left off of this thing.